Why Is Accident Maryland Called Accident?

0 Comments

Why Is Accident Maryland Called Accident
Accident Maryland | History Accident Main Street looking North, after 1903. Why our town is called Accident About the year 1751, a grant of land was given to Mr. George Deakins by King George II, of England, in payment of a debt. According to the terms, Mr. Deakins was to receive 600 acres of land anywhere he chose in Western Maryland.

Mr. Deakins sent out two corps of engineers, each without knowledge of the other group, to survey the best land in the area. After the survey, the engineers returned with their maps of the plots they had surveyed. To their surprise, they discovered they had surveyed a tract of land starting at the same tall Oak tree and returning to the start point.

Mr. Deakins chose this plot of ground and had it patented “The Accident Tract;” hence, the name of the town. The area around Accident was laid out in military lots and was given to Revolutionary War soldiers in lieu of cash for services rendered. Most soldiers sold their lots and never lived in Western Maryland. Accident Road (circa 1914) Left: Workers shown preparing the road bed for cement are Harvey Kolb, Jonas R. Kamp and Arthur George (left to right). Note boardwalk and picket fence. Above: The paving of Accident’s Main Street is shown from the center of looking southward. Spoerlein’s Garage Frank Spoerlein, his wife Emma, and son Francis, are shown in front of Spoerlein’s Garage (circa 1926). The garage, the first in Accident, was originally built in 1916 by Harry Black and Arthur Chisholm. It as purchased by Spoerlein in 1919-1920. Drane House The first log house built in the area was owned by Colonel William Lamar prior to 1798. His sister, Priscilla Drane, along with her husband, Lt. James Drane, and their 8 children and 6 slaves moved to Accident from Prince George’s County about 1800 and became Accident’s first permanent settlers.

The land was deeded to Priscilla in 1817. James Drane was born in 1755 in Prince George’s County and became a 2nd Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War. He died on June 27, 1828. Priscilla Drane died on February 29, 1836. Both are buried in the Zion Lutheran Cemetery located beside the Drane House property.

Most of the children moved out of the area by 1838. The house was last occupied in 1952. The house entered into the National Register of Historical Places in January 1985. The Town of Accident purchased the property from Kolb Farms, Inc. in 1987-1988. The Mayor and Town Council sponsored an application to the Maryland Historical Trust for State Capital Grant funds for the 1989 Fiscal Year.

  1. The original cost for the acquisition, restoration and site development was $80,000.
  2. The reconstruction began in 1991.
  3. The building was disassembled and tagged to install new foundation piers.
  4. Piece by piece the house was reconstructed in its original location.
  5. The dedication was held on September 24, 1994.

The public can access the house by Cemetery Road off of State Route 219 (Garrett Highway) on the northern end of Accident. There is always some type of activity going on at the Drane House during Accident’s Fourth of July Homecoming. The Cancer Awareness Tea is held the first Saturday in October and the annual Cookie Sale is held on the first Saturday of December.

How did accident get its name?

Accident Maryland | History Accident Main Street looking North, after 1903. Why our town is called Accident About the year 1751, a grant of land was given to Mr. George Deakins by King George II, of England, in payment of a debt. According to the terms, Mr. Deakins was to receive 600 acres of land anywhere he chose in Western Maryland.

You might be interested:  When Can You Take Drivers Ed In Maryland?

Mr. Deakins sent out two corps of engineers, each without knowledge of the other group, to survey the best land in the area. After the survey, the engineers returned with their maps of the plots they had surveyed. To their surprise, they discovered they had surveyed a tract of land starting at the same tall Oak tree and returning to the start point.

Mr. Deakins chose this plot of ground and had it patented “The Accident Tract;” hence, the name of the town. The area around Accident was laid out in military lots and was given to Revolutionary War soldiers in lieu of cash for services rendered. Most soldiers sold their lots and never lived in Western Maryland. Accident Road (circa 1914) Left: Workers shown preparing the road bed for cement are Harvey Kolb, Jonas R. Kamp and Arthur George (left to right). Note boardwalk and picket fence. Above: The paving of Accident’s Main Street is shown from the center of looking southward. Spoerlein’s Garage Frank Spoerlein, his wife Emma, and son Francis, are shown in front of Spoerlein’s Garage (circa 1926). The garage, the first in Accident, was originally built in 1916 by Harry Black and Arthur Chisholm. It as purchased by Spoerlein in 1919-1920. Drane House The first log house built in the area was owned by Colonel William Lamar prior to 1798. His sister, Priscilla Drane, along with her husband, Lt. James Drane, and their 8 children and 6 slaves moved to Accident from Prince George’s County about 1800 and became Accident’s first permanent settlers.

The land was deeded to Priscilla in 1817. James Drane was born in 1755 in Prince George’s County and became a 2nd Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War. He died on June 27, 1828. Priscilla Drane died on February 29, 1836. Both are buried in the Zion Lutheran Cemetery located beside the Drane House property.

Most of the children moved out of the area by 1838. The house was last occupied in 1952. The house entered into the National Register of Historical Places in January 1985. The Town of Accident purchased the property from Kolb Farms, Inc. in 1987-1988. The Mayor and Town Council sponsored an application to the Maryland Historical Trust for State Capital Grant funds for the 1989 Fiscal Year.

  • The original cost for the acquisition, restoration and site development was $80,000.
  • The reconstruction began in 1991.
  • The building was disassembled and tagged to install new foundation piers.
  • Piece by piece the house was reconstructed in its original location.
  • The dedication was held on September 24, 1994.

The public can access the house by Cemetery Road off of State Route 219 (Garrett Highway) on the northern end of Accident. There is always some type of activity going on at the Drane House during Accident’s Fourth of July Homecoming. The Cancer Awareness Tea is held the first Saturday in October and the annual Cookie Sale is held on the first Saturday of December.

What is the population of accident MD?

History – Accident was one of the early settlements in the far west of Maryland. The name originates about the time of the 1786 land survey. Though the origin or meaning of the name is unknown, one popular story says that Brooke Beall and William Deakins, Jr., friends from Prince George’s County, were conducting separate surveys in the area at the time and “by accident” Deakins claimed land already surveyed by Beall.

When Lord Baltimore opened up the area, which he called Monocacy Manor, for settlement, in the early 1770s, Brooke Beall secured permission to survey 778 acres (315 ha; 1.2 sq mi). It will never be known for certain how Beall came to choose this particular spot, but the surveyor was given clear instructions where to start.

You might be interested:  How Much To Renew Tags In Maryland?

He was to begin “in the center between two bounded white oak trees, standing on the North Side of the South fork of Bear Creek in or near a glade about one Hundred yards from said Run, about one or two Miles above a Lick known by the name of the ” Cole Mine Lick “, about four miles (6 km) above the mouth of Broad Creek and about one mile (1.6 km) East of a Ridge of the Negro Mountain,” John Hanson, Jr.

  • Later a delegate to the Continental Congress, and President of the United States in Congress Assembled, on April 14, 1774, surveyed the land, finding that it only contained 682 acres (276 ha).
  • For the next twelve years, nothing was done with the survey.
  • The American Revolutionary War intervened, and it was not until February 15, 1786, that the land was granted by means of a patent to William Deakins.

The following year the surrounding countryside was surveyed into military lots by Francis Deakins, lots that were meant as compensation for the soldiers who served from Maryland during the Revolution. Each soldier who served for two years received one lot of 50 acres (20 ha), officers received four lots of 50 acres (20 ha) each. Detail from the original Francis Deakins 1787 survey of lots westward of Fort Cumberland, Library of Congress. Reproduced in Edward C. Papenfuse and Joseph M. Coale, The Maryland State Archives Atlas of Historical Maps of Maryland, (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003), p.204 Kaese Mill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

What does accident mean?

History – Accident was one of the early settlements in the far west of Maryland. The name originates about the time of the 1786 land survey. Though the origin or meaning of the name is unknown, one popular story says that Brooke Beall and William Deakins, Jr., friends from Prince George’s County, were conducting separate surveys in the area at the time and “by accident” Deakins claimed land already surveyed by Beall.

When Lord Baltimore opened up the area, which he called Monocacy Manor, for settlement, in the early 1770s, Brooke Beall secured permission to survey 778 acres (315 ha; 1.2 sq mi). It will never be known for certain how Beall came to choose this particular spot, but the surveyor was given clear instructions where to start.

He was to begin “in the center between two bounded white oak trees, standing on the North Side of the South fork of Bear Creek in or near a glade about one Hundred yards from said Run, about one or two Miles above a Lick known by the name of the ” Cole Mine Lick “, about four miles (6 km) above the mouth of Broad Creek and about one mile (1.6 km) East of a Ridge of the Negro Mountain,” John Hanson, Jr.

  1. Later a delegate to the Continental Congress, and President of the United States in Congress Assembled, on April 14, 1774, surveyed the land, finding that it only contained 682 acres (276 ha).
  2. For the next twelve years, nothing was done with the survey.
  3. The American Revolutionary War intervened, and it was not until February 15, 1786, that the land was granted by means of a patent to William Deakins.

The following year the surrounding countryside was surveyed into military lots by Francis Deakins, lots that were meant as compensation for the soldiers who served from Maryland during the Revolution. Each soldier who served for two years received one lot of 50 acres (20 ha), officers received four lots of 50 acres (20 ha) each. Detail from the original Francis Deakins 1787 survey of lots westward of Fort Cumberland, Library of Congress. Reproduced in Edward C. Papenfuse and Joseph M. Coale, The Maryland State Archives Atlas of Historical Maps of Maryland, (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003), p.204 Kaese Mill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

You might be interested:  How To Start A Home Daycare In Maryland?

What happened to the area around accident?

Accident Maryland | History Accident Main Street looking North, after 1903. Why our town is called Accident About the year 1751, a grant of land was given to Mr. George Deakins by King George II, of England, in payment of a debt. According to the terms, Mr. Deakins was to receive 600 acres of land anywhere he chose in Western Maryland.

Mr. Deakins sent out two corps of engineers, each without knowledge of the other group, to survey the best land in the area. After the survey, the engineers returned with their maps of the plots they had surveyed. To their surprise, they discovered they had surveyed a tract of land starting at the same tall Oak tree and returning to the start point.

Mr. Deakins chose this plot of ground and had it patented “The Accident Tract;” hence, the name of the town. The area around Accident was laid out in military lots and was given to Revolutionary War soldiers in lieu of cash for services rendered. Most soldiers sold their lots and never lived in Western Maryland. Accident Road (circa 1914) Left: Workers shown preparing the road bed for cement are Harvey Kolb, Jonas R. Kamp and Arthur George (left to right). Note boardwalk and picket fence. Above: The paving of Accident’s Main Street is shown from the center of looking southward. Spoerlein’s Garage Frank Spoerlein, his wife Emma, and son Francis, are shown in front of Spoerlein’s Garage (circa 1926). The garage, the first in Accident, was originally built in 1916 by Harry Black and Arthur Chisholm. It as purchased by Spoerlein in 1919-1920. Drane House The first log house built in the area was owned by Colonel William Lamar prior to 1798. His sister, Priscilla Drane, along with her husband, Lt. James Drane, and their 8 children and 6 slaves moved to Accident from Prince George’s County about 1800 and became Accident’s first permanent settlers.

The land was deeded to Priscilla in 1817. James Drane was born in 1755 in Prince George’s County and became a 2nd Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War. He died on June 27, 1828. Priscilla Drane died on February 29, 1836. Both are buried in the Zion Lutheran Cemetery located beside the Drane House property.

Most of the children moved out of the area by 1838. The house was last occupied in 1952. The house entered into the National Register of Historical Places in January 1985. The Town of Accident purchased the property from Kolb Farms, Inc. in 1987-1988. The Mayor and Town Council sponsored an application to the Maryland Historical Trust for State Capital Grant funds for the 1989 Fiscal Year.

  • The original cost for the acquisition, restoration and site development was $80,000.
  • The reconstruction began in 1991.
  • The building was disassembled and tagged to install new foundation piers.
  • Piece by piece the house was reconstructed in its original location.
  • The dedication was held on September 24, 1994.

The public can access the house by Cemetery Road off of State Route 219 (Garrett Highway) on the northern end of Accident. There is always some type of activity going on at the Drane House during Accident’s Fourth of July Homecoming. The Cancer Awareness Tea is held the first Saturday in October and the annual Cookie Sale is held on the first Saturday of December.