What Does A Car Title Look Like Maryland?


What Does A Car Title Look Like Maryland
How to obtain the car title if you live in Maryland and buy the vehicle from a private seller? – If you purchase the vehicle from a private seller in Maryland, the seller is required to give you the original MVA title. In Maryland, this would be a blue and pink colored document as is shown in the picture. The seller must sign and print his complete name in the space provided in the back of the MVA title to make the transaction valid. Otherwise, you will not be able to get your own Maryland title. It is important to keep in mind that you also need to fill out the rest of the form in the back of the title before you apply to obtain your Maryland tags and Maryland car title, What Does A Car Title Look Like Maryland

How are car titles issued in the state of Maryland?

A vehicle’s title establishes who owns the vehicle. Each time the owner changes, a new title must be issued. Currently, the Maryland MVA prints a two-part, paper title. The first part, the Maryland Certificate of Title, is mailed to the owner. The second part, the Security Interest Filing (SIF), is printed only when a lien has been filed against the title; it is mailed to the lien holder.

Having a title for your vehicle does not permit you to drive it on public roads; you must also register it. The two transactions are usually handled together. Please check the infoMVA registration section for further information. CO-SIGNER – If an owner of a vehicle is under 18, a parent, spouse, employer, or other responsible adult must sign as co-signer. The purpose of the co-signer’s signature in this section is to certify to the accuracy of the information on the application for title. (They will not be shown on the title).

You might be interested:  How Far Is Maryland From New York By Train?

What does a car title look like?

Your car title is a certificate that proves your ownership of the vehicle you drive. It’s issued and processed by the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you’re financing a car, you won’t have the title until you complete payments and there are no liens left on your vehicle, according to Cars.com.

Do you have to notarize a car title in Maryland?

Must be notarized. Apply for a MD vehicle title through the Motor Vehicle Administration. Submit this form to the MD Motor Vehicle Administration if you’re transferring a car as a gift from one family member to another. Notify the MD MVA of a change in address to be reflected on your identification, vehicle, and voter registration documents.

How do I add a lien to my Car title in MD?

Used Vehicles – You must register your vehicle and get license plates before driving it. If possible, the seller should accompany you to the MVA office or title and tag agent, When you’re ready to transfer the title:

  • Both you and the seller complete, sign, and date the title in the Assignment of Ownership section.
  • Make sure the seller properly records the odometer reading on the title or in a separate Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form VR-197)Complete a Bill of Sale with the seller. You will need to have it notarized if:
    • The vehicle is 7 years old or newer.
    • The sales price is at least $500 less than the vehicle’s value in the National Publication of Used Car Values. Call MVA Customer Service at (410) 768-7000 to verify the vehicle’s value.
    • You wish to base the excise tax (6% of the vehicle’s value) on the sale price rather than the book value of the vehicle.
    • If a notarized Bill of Sale is not completed and the sale price is within $500 of the book value, MVA will use the price on the title to calculate the excise tax.
You might be interested:  How To File A Dba In Maryland?

Visit your local MVA office or title and tag agent with the title and above documents, as well as:

  • Notice of Security Interest Filing (Form VR-217) showing that all prior liens have been paid off. See the Removing a Lien section below for more information.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title VR-005, if the title is originally from another state.
  • Proof of insurance,
  • A Certificate of Inspection, If you’re unable to have your vehicle inspected before you register it, you can apply for a 30-Day Temporary Registration,
  • Proof the vehicle passed the Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program Test (VEIP), if applicable in your county.Payment for the $100 titling fee and a maximum 6% excise tax (if applicable based on previous state tax rate paid at time of purchase.)
    • NOTE : Vehicles recently purchased are assessed tax based on the price listed on the notarized Bill of Sale, The tax on older vehicles is charged based on the sale price on the title.

If you don’t plan on registering the vehicle, you can mail the requirements for the title only to:

  • Motor Vehicle Administration
  • 6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
  • Glen Burnie, MD 21062

If you have questions, contact the Motor Vehicle Administration Customer Service Center at (410) 768-7000.