While Vanessa and I are on the road, we want to share some recipes we're whipping up in our tiny, little RV kitchen. Truth be told, I've never actually had to cook in a kitchen so small. But you know what they say about small RVs right? Small kitchens.
Okay, all terrible jokes aside, this afternoon we slapped together some delicious RV fare worth sharing. We're currently staying at Wilderness RV Park in Ocala, and needed something high in protein and low in calories before hitting the trails.
This leads to our latest RV meal in our Recipes from the Road: Bring the Heat, No Meat Chorizo Scramble.
I'm sure by now you can understand that no pigs were harmed in the making of this chorizo. Unless they were fired from their job soy harvesting which left some irreparable emotional damage.
Sigh, this recipe is 100% meat-free. Vanessa and I are vegetarians and pride ourselves on healthier eating options. Although, no hate toward meat eaters. I was one for 26 years and to each their own.
Another thing I have to add is that this recipe is cooked in one pan. In fact, all our recipes are cooked in one pan because we want to keep it as simple as possible. So our little, square Rival skillet does the trick.
Bring the Heat, No Meat Chorizo Scramble
Serving Size: Two
Cost Per Person: $1.37
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 of a decent size zucchini
1/3 of a 10 oz package of white mushrooms
A handful of kale
1/2 of a 12 oz package of soy chorizo
2 eggs (you can add 1 more if you're feeling frisky)
1. Heat up your skillet between low and medium heat. Add the teaspoon of coconut oil.
2. Chop up zucchini and mushrooms. Keep 'em small. They don't have to be pretty, just bite-size.
3. Add veggies to heated oil.
4. Cook veggies about 2-3 minutes. Push to the back of the skillet.
4. Remove the soy chorizo and cut it in half. You have to remove the casing in order to get the soy chorizo out, so cut a slit in the casing and place on the open half of the skillet. Break it up.
5. Once soy chorizo is heated through, mix with the veggies like a giant skillet slumber party. Push to the back of the skillet.
6. Scramble some eggs on the side. Add to the open part of the skillet. Cook until desired consistency.
7. Mix everything together in the skillet. Serve it up.
How freakin' easy! It's worth mentioning that we read an article somewhere, I think on Buzzfeed, about a couple traveling the world and the reality of their travels. They explained that it was all hunky-dory via their social media posts, but behind the scenes it was less than glorious. The couple explained they expected to get fit and healthy while on the road, but in fact it was impossible to eat healthy for cheap as they travelled. Let me tell you, this recipe is NOT an unhealthy one. It was also ridiculously cheap to make. AND we had leftovers. So the point is, all of our recipes will be for people who want to eat simple, eat healthy, and save a buck. Enjoy the meal and let us know what you think!
FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURE
Marisa & Vanessa have a whole "About Us" blurb that they are dying for you to check out.