There are very few things that I can happily pair with a cup of coffee and scones top the list. The problem though, is that regular scones that you can purchase at say, Starbucks or a bakery, are fairly unhealthy. Loads of butter or worse yet, lard, and tons of sugar. So, I wanted to see if I could make something easy on the road that also packed a nutritional punch. Thus began the inception of some delicious and easy vegan scones for our are Recipes from the Road collection.
When I say easy, the recipe really is easy. We're talking less than ten ingredients, and they're all legit ingredients with a purpose. Like walnuts that pack protein and omega-3s. Or blueberries that are riddled with antioxidants. I wanted a scone that wasn't just garbage, but was actually healthy. A great way to start the day and get your body moving. So, here it is, a vegan scone recipe that is sure to knock your socks off.
Note: If you're looking for a sugary sweet scone that tastes more like a cookie, then you're doing it wrong. Sorry.
Quick & Easy Vegan Scones
Cost per Serving: $1.26
2.5 cups Self Rising Flour
2.5 Tbs Sugar
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
2-3 TBS cinnamon
2 oz. walnuts
1 small package fresh blueberries
Zest of 1 lemon
Optional: Powdered sugar on top if you're feeling frisky.
1. Preheat over to 425 degrees.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Basically, everything but the coconut milk.
3. Now add the coconut milk. Don't mix it too much, you don't want to overwork the dough. If it's still sticky, add more flour in increments.
4. Take the dough and place it on a floured baking sheet. I like to shape it into a square, about 1.5 inches thick.
5. Next, cut it up like a pizza. As many large-ish slices as possible. Should be able 8.
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon and pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
7. Let scones sit. Then CHOW DOWN.
Sometimes I'll lather that puppy with a fresh fruit spread or some almond butter and enjoy it with a cup of fresh brew. They're light and fresh and super delicious. And did we mention they were VEGAN?!
Try them out for yourself and let me know what you think!
FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURE